Yesterday was my 6ish week ultrasound. We had mentally been trying to prepare for all possible scenarios. Even though my betas were good, the ultrasound is just so much more important. It was at 4:15 yesterday so I had to spend the ENTIRE day dreaming up every possible scenario. Luckily I had an acupuncture appointment over lunch so that helped calm me a little bit. Regardless around 3pm I started to lose it again. I honestly thought I had prepared for every scenario –
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- A gestational sac but no yolk or fetal pole (miscarriage)
- A gestational sac with a yolk (ultrasound was too early)
- A goofy looking gestational sac with a yolk (eventual miscarriage)
- A gestational sac, yolk, and fetal pole with no heartbeat (unknown)
- A gestational sac, yolk, and fetal pole with a crappy heartbeat (eventual miscarriage)
- A gestational sac, yolk, and fetal pole with so-so heartbeat (very nervous/anxious me)
- A gestational sac, yolk, and fetal pole with strong heartbeat (possible successful pregnancy)
So I was prepared, right? WRONG, so, so wrong. The doctor comes in with a resident. The resident initially does the ultrasound, seeing a perfectly round gestational sac and a yolk. The doctor thought she could see where the fetal pole might be, but that it was too early and that I was only 5.5 weeks as I suspected. But the doctor wanted to give it a try so she took over for the resident. Here’s how it went
Doctor – Oh, there looks to be a second yolk sac
Me – What does that mean?
Doctor – Twins
Husband – Like….identical twins?
Doctor – Yes!
Me – Could it mean anything else?
Doctor – Nope!
Ummm yeah….ok! Neither of us have identical twins in our families and if you’ll recall this was a NON MEDICATED CYCLE! WTF! Just when I thought I couldn’t be any more surprised than last week. Besides being even more shocked than we already were, we are overall happy that we could have two babies. I am of course terrified of all the increased risk (preterm labor, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, etc etc etc). But all of those concerns are a long way off still, we have other things to worry about now (will we see two hearbeats next week?).
So, I think I will update you guys one more time next week after the next ultrasound and then I’ll go into the RPL shadows of pregnancy. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and thoughts, they are clearly working so far!